Global statistics show that there are over 40 million people living in slavery today. Also referred to as human trafficking, modern day slavery is all too real and South Yorkshire Police are asking for help from the public to develop an intelligence profile across South Yorkshire.
South Yorkshire Police have embarked on a campaign to create awareness and encourage members of the public to report any concerns they may have. By ensuring as many people as possible can recognise the signs that someone may be a victim of modern-day slavery, the chances of helping victims and prosecuting perpetrators can significantly increase.
Things to look out for:
- Visible distress, a general sense of unease and fear and unusual distrust of law enforcement.
- Evidence of physical injuries as well as scarring/branding.
- Appears to have no money yet has a mobile phone.
- Looks to have been wearing the same clothes for days and appears unkempt / unclean.
- No apparent English language skills
- No knowledge of the local community or how to find their way around.
Slavery is all around us
Sadly, slavery is not a thing of the past and it is happening right now, all around the world. If you have any suspicions concerning modern slavery, that it may be happening to you or someone you know, you can report it to the police on 101 or call the Modern Slavery helpline on 0800 0121 700.